A course for the water industry, mainly aimed at potable water treatment and physical-chemical treatment required in wastewater treatment and reclamation and also in the treatment of residuals from both water and wastewater treatment processes and selected industrial wastewaters.
1 Water quality requirements
- Background: Water chemistry, atomic structure, stoichiometry, redox reactions, pH, alkalinity, hardness. Water biology, classification of organisms. Measurement of water quality.
- Drinking water quality criteria
- Health and aesthetic aspects of drinking water
- Chemical principles, source composition and water sheds
- Hydraulic characteristics of reactors
- Overview of water treatment processes
- Removal of organic contaminants.
- Typical potable water plants.
- Physical chemical treatment in wastewater treatment plants.
- Fresh water sources, water demand and variability, water pollutants
2 Gas-Liquid Processes
3 Chemical Oxidation
- Ozonation – reactions with organic substances, mass transfer, and equipment design
- Alternative disinfection and oxidation procedures (opportunity)
4 Coagulation and Flocculation
- Colloidal suspensions; turbidity and coagulation; chemicals required: aluminum sulfate, ferric chloride, lime, polymers, clay minerals; rapid mixing.
- Flocculation – shear gradients, energy requirements, floc rupture, tapered flocculation, Camp no.; flocculation equipment, head loss, examples
5 Screens,Sedimentation and Flotation
- Sedimentation – definitions, applications, settling of discrete particles, sedimentation classes; settling tank design, types of settling tanks, examples
- Flotation – aims, methodology of gas-solid floc formation, gas introduction
- Granular bed (sand), precoat and membrane filtration.
- Different types of filtration used in water treatment (opportunity for term paper)
- Rapid and slow sand filtration – medium characterization, head loss over granular beds, fouling, backwashing, filter sizing and layout, novel filtration designs (opportunity)
8 Ion exchange and inorganic adsorption
- Reverse osmosis, ion exchange, adsorption, membrane technology and redox reactions for removal of pollutants
9 Precipitation, Softening and Stabilization
- Precipitation of dissolved metals
10 Adsorption of organics by activated carbon
- Background: diseases carried in water –Different approaches to disinfection and disinfectant types, disinfection kinetics
- Chlorination – reactions with ammonia and organic substances, equipment
12 Tertiary treatment, water reclamation and natural treatment
13 Quality maintenance during distribution
14 Water treatment plant residuals management
Alex for You Center is a professional public service institution that provides support and development of the vocational education for all subjects interested in vocational education in Egypt.
Alex for You was founded; opening Ceremony was held in October 2003 in Hilton Green Plaza Hotel. Businessmen, Industrialists and human resources managers attend this ceremony, and representatives of famous industrialists in Egypt.
As we have good relations with Alexandria University and professional engineers in industry, we have motivated the experts to direct their experience towards industry through professional training courses which gather round development, modernization and practical applications.
Alex for You Mission
The mission of the Alex for You Center is to provide quality vocational education and training in accordance to the needs of the labor market, to contribute in raising the level of youth employment, and to improve the efficiency and the competitiveness in the economy.
Alex for You Center would achieve its mission creating climate for establishing flexible system for vocation education based on the philosophy of lifelong learning as:
- Continuous and full inclusion of the vocational education to all members of society ...